10.3.10

INITIAL RESPONSE

This is a great brief! I am immediately excited about the format posters & folding broadsheets.

I have always liked posters. I have a collection of music posters, exhibition posters and folding broadsheets. I like making posters for events and publicity - I like the DIY aesthetic and the language of the vernacular. I have been caught fly-postering by the police! I feel posters will be a format I can immerse myself in and subsequently allow me to have fun producing exciting, personal work.

"Show the design world how the format can be used, applied, manipulated and pushed in ways never thought of or seen before"
Thats a tall order, but to approach posters in this way will definitely push me, and I think I can produce some exciting work.

"Who has done interesting work with the format before?"
This will be a good starting point. Off the top of my head I will look at Typographicposters.com, Warhol, music posters, exhibition posters, political posters and more - and try to narrow down my research and focus. I find the more specific you can make a brief the more potential you have to push the boundaries.

"What process and techniques can you explore and investigate?"
This is my main reason for picking the format. I want to experiment with letterpress and screen printing. I want to do lots of this project physically, working with real things - away from the computer screen. I also want to experiment with projections, photocopying, hand-mades and off-set litho. As well as exploring substrates and inks - i.e. things I can print with and things I can print on.

No comments: