14.5.10

Weekly update

A week since the last proper project post. Postcards have started to come back from industry and friends, plus I got around 20 filled out by students. I am not entirely happy with the responses. Most are quite conceptual, silly or throw-away: there is not much substance. I blame myself entirely: the answers are dependent on the question. I definitely still feel this is a useful process and there are lessons I can learn. However I am now having a rethink about my idea to simply collate the answers, present them on a poster and post them back.
As Craig Oldham says "designers always struggle without a brief to define their content". I don't want to try to add superflous style to content that isnt interesting. Roman Cieslewicz has said "posters need powerful occasions and significant subjects"
As Eames said "The degree to which a designer has style is the degree to which they didnt solve the problem".
If you ask the right question, you get the right answer. I need to ask the right question. I should be being brilliantly simple.

"I designed all single-color print projects in black. Just before the design went to print, I would ask Michele Piranio, the studio manager, to choose a color. Michele became a part of my objective design process. She negated the need for me to make a subjective decision and became another standard, helping me rationalize as many decisions as possible within the design process." Daniel Eatock

Lets think of some questions...

What is the potential of posters?
How can posters be used and applied in new ways?
What is interesting to you/me about posters?
How can posters be manipulated and pushed in ways never thought of or seen before?
What is a poster?
What is the future of the poster?
Does the poster need to change?
What makes a poster effective/interesting?
How important is the content of a poster?
Posters: content or form?
Who are posters designed for?
Who looks at posters?
Who benefits from a poster?
Why should the poster evolve, who would it benefit?
How does a poster look if you're blind or illiterate?

No comments: